Thursday, 8 November 2012

The Next Big Thing


Last Wednesday the lovely Caroline Green, author of Dark Ride and Cracks, tagged me in her The Next Big Thing post. The idea is that an author answers ten questions about their next book, and then tags up to five other authors, who will post on their websites the following week.



So here we go…

What is the working title of your book?

At the minute it has no working title, beyond Dark Dates 2, though I am planning to publish a short story in the next few weeks, called A Vampire Walks into a Bar, featuring two characters from the first novel.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

When I finished my urban fantasy novel Dark Dates, I realized that it not only set itself up perfectly for a sequel, but that I had fallen in love with the characters a little and wanted to see where they went next, so that’s what I’m doing.

What genre does your book fall under?

Urban fantasy

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Always a tough one! It changes from moment to moment, and is heavily influenced by the idea that I might get to drop in on set and meet them – so Charlie Hunnan from Sons of Anarchy, Timothy Olyphant from Justified – basically a string of hot men! But I do like Kat Dennings from Two Broke Girls, she might make a good Cass.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

A sexy, snarky and original look at the vampire myth set in a human/vampire dating agency in London.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

At the moment, not sure, but Dark Dates was self-published.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

About six months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I’m not really sure in terms of comparisons, but I’m hoping people who like Buffy, Supernatural and Harry Dresden will like it.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

I’ve always liked urban fantasy but I was getting a bit sick of the way these books seemed to be about swooning teenagers. I wanted to write a female character who was fun and likeable and you could imagine going to the pub with, while having a little fun with the genre.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

It’s snarky, funny and full of pop culture references. Give it a go!

Thanks for listening!

I am now tagging fellow author Chris Chalmers, author of Five to One – go to his website a week from now to see his answers…


No comments:

Post a Comment